Thursday, September 17, 2015

Rosh HaShanah Morning Sermon: Reflections on Race in America and America's Journey for Justice

An edited version of this sermon was delivered Rosh HaShanah Morning, 5776 at Temple Emanu-El of East Meadow.

           I awoke early this morning to get a jump start on this thing that I am supposed to do, before the heat of the day takes over and makes the journey too difficult.  I brought my servants, a donkey, and my son, Isaac.  Not my only son, but the one I have left.  Not that long ago, my other son, Ishmael, had to go.  His mother, Hagar, and my wife Sarah didn’t get along so well.  Sarah’s a little territorial; but I can’t blame her.  It took us so long to have this one child.  So many weeks, months, years of waiting, praying to a God that we can’t see.  And finally a son, just as those visitors told us we would have.  And now, this boy, this young lad, has to be given to God.  It’s what we do.  It’s just the way of the world.  I can’t explain it; it’s just the way things are.  Our neighbors send their sons to their gods, so I get it; but I’m not so comfortable with it.

We trekked this morning, looking for just the right place.  Somewhere high up, close to the heavens.  Somewhere that spoke to me.  Somewhere that told me this is the place that God wants.  And I find the perfect place.  High up this dusty, golden hill.  Higher than any of the hills around it.  That feels right to me.  I can’t quite explain it, but I sense that I’m in the right place.  Have you ever had that feeling of just knowing that something was right, like everything was pointing you in that direction?  That’s how this hill feels, like it’s the center of all that has been created.  The hill feels right, and the time of day feels right, and my belief in God feels right.  But what I’m about to do, I still…

I brought everything I needed with me: my knife, wood for the burning, and my son.  He’s so quiet this morning, but he does notice that something doesn’t add up.  “Dad,” he asks, “I see the knife, and I see the wood, but what are we going to give to God?”  He doesn’t really understand the way of the world, yet.  I would have taught him, but it seemed cruel to tell him what was coming, and besides, I don’t want him to be scared.  “Come this way, Isaac,” I say to him.  “Take a moment to rest here on these stones.”  My voice shakes.  Does he know how scared I am?  My hands tremble holding that knife.  How will I go through with this? 

Doesn’t this seem wrong?  That our young people should be killed off like this?  Why would God give me a son only to ask for him back?!  I’m no expert on God, but I know when something doesn’t make sense to me.  But so far, everything that I have been asked, I have done and everything that I have been promised has come true.  What am I supposed to do?  I believe with complete faith that God has my best interest in mind, is looking out for me, for us, for my family.  God was with me in Egypt those many years ago, when Sarah and I, in our youth, traveled there looking for food.  God was with me before that too, on the long journey to this land.  That feeling I first had when we arrived here, that’s the same feeling I have today on this mountaintop.  God called then and I answered then; and that’s all I’m doing now, right?  This is what a father does.  It’s an ordeal we all have to go through.

He’s resting there now, on the stones.  He’s got to know what’s going on.  He must have some idea.  He’s not dumb, that son of mine.  Maybe he doesn’t notice things as carefully as his brother, but he’s not dumb.

It’s time now.  I can’t delay any longer.  The knife is sharpened.  This is God’s design.  I have to hold it strong now, and I need to use, want to use all my strength.  I don’t want him to suffer.  I lift my hand as I look into his innocent eyes, which now belie his utter terror at what I’m doing.  His eyes ask me what I’m doing, why I’m doing it.  They scream out for his mother, but the rest of him doesn’t move.  He has the same resolve as I do.  Or maybe he just doesn’t want to fight me.  I have to do it now.  I have to just plunge that knife and not look back.  I have to just let God’s will play out, right?  Don’t I?  This is what we do?

But that fear in his eyes gives me pause.  In the tears quietly streaming down his face I sense betrayal, not just of his body, but of our relationship, our father-son bond.  I can’t do it!  I can’t make myself do it!  What will Sarah say when I return?  How will I ever look her in the face again?  I need to drop this knife now and gather my living son into my arms.  No God that I believe in would ask this of me!  No God would want a family torn apart by violence, by bloodlust.  No God would value the blood of our children over their breath, their souls.

I look up and see a ram caught in the thicket.  Let that be for God, not my son!  That will serve as a symbol of my trust in God, not my boy.  If God is not content with a man who values human life above all else, I cannot help that!  I only know what is right and I know that dropping this knife now is the right thing.  This I believe with complete faith.

*          *          *

Each year on Rosh HaShanah morning, we hear this famous story.  We heard it this morning, so beautifully chanted, the story of Abraham who is called by God to sacrifice his son Isaac as a test of fidelity.  The story is usually referred to as Akedat Yitzchak, the binding of Isaac.  The climactic moment of this story is the moment when, as the knife is about to be plunged into the boy, something stops Abraham in his tracks.  The Torah tells us that it is an angel of God who stays Abraham’s hand by calling out “Abraham, Abraham!”  This moment of divine intervention makes it clear to Abraham that what he is about to do is not what God wants.  Abraham senses that what he is about to do is not the right thing.  What he is about to do is actually abhorrent to God.  Abraham looked around him, at what his neighbors were doing, and said enough is enough: I am not going to sacrifice my son because it’s the thing that’s done.  That voice that called out to Abraham was indeed divine, but it may have come not from the heavens, but from a place deep in Abraham’s soul, in his conscience, that place that told him that this thing which was asked of him was not right – that thing which was just happening all around him was not the way the world should be. 

Abraham understands at that moment, but not until that moment, that God doesn’t want a child sacrifice.  It’s not until he sees his son beneath him and sees the life in Isaac that this epiphany comes to Abraham.  Abraham has a moment where he senses that just because the world works a certain way doesn’t mean it’s right, fair, or ought to continue.

In his breathtaking and crushing book Between the World and Me, Ta-Nahesi Coates describes the world as it is for black men living in America in 2015.  His book is written as a letter to his son, Samori, who at age 15 comes to a realization that the world is not as it should be.  Coates writes to his son:

That was the week you learned that the killers of Michael Brown would go free…would
never be punished.  It was not my expectation that anyone would ever be punished.  But you were young, and you still believed.  You stayed up till 11pm that night, waiting for the announcement of an indictment, and when instead it was announced that there was none you said: “I’ve got to go,” and you went into your room and I heard you crying.[1]

Coates’ son has a difficult epiphany about our great nation, and Coates uses his epistle to his son to explain that the reality of our nation is that racism is real, it is powerful, and it is engrained.  Coates book focuses on the fear Black parents have for their children and about their children.  He focuses on the origins of the racial issues in our nation, not to complain, but to recognize the reality and share what he has learned with his son, the way that his parents shared it with him.  Coates is, at this moment, a father who is desperately trying to save his son, though he does not have the ability to do so.  He is not the one wielding the knife.  He is not the one who established the system as it is, though as any father would, he sees it as unfair and not right.  The way of the world is not right.

            Coates goes on to describe a moment when he came to realize and recognize the injustice which still plagues this nation.  In the second half of his book, he recounts the story of another young Black man, gunned down in the prime of his youth.  A man named Prince Jones, whom Coates’ knew from their time at Howard University.  Prince Jones was killed yards from his fiancée’s home by an undercover police officer outside of jurisdiction.  He was shot eight times, five in the back, a result of a barrage of 16 bullets.  Coates describes his reaction to hearing the news: “I cannot remember what happened next.  I think I stumbled back…What I remember for sure is what I felt: rage and the old gravity of West Baltimore.”  Here, Coates is referring to his upbringing in difficult and dangerous neighborhoods of Baltimore.  The neighborhoods of Coates’ youth are the result of years of discriminatory policies around mortgages, (add more here)  The legacy, Coates realizes, of that neighborhood, always seems to pull a person back.  That gravitational pull… Even though Prince Jones’ family did everything supposedly right – Jones’ mother is a self-made physician, the family saved and moved to a safe neighborhood, and Prince was sent to the best schools and brought up to achieve the American middle-class dream – even this man, whose family did everything that they were told, hoping to gain entrée into a different life, even this man was not immune from overzealous and racially motivated policing.

           What is truly heartbreaking when reading Coates’ words is seeing that even with all the progress that has been made, the lesson Coates had to learn about how his life is valued by our nation is the same lesson he watches his son learn.  In the same way Coates came to understand in 2001 that the institutionalized racism of the past continues to have ramifications today, his son, in 2015, also learns.  There may not be Jim Crow any longer, but we are still a far distance away from true equality and equal justice under the law.  In some ways, we can perhaps relate to the first time we each learn and understand that anti-Semitism persists.  For us, however, anti-Semitism was never enshrined in the laws and customs of this nation.  Jews were never constitutionally considered less than humans.  Jews were not bought and sold and treated as property for centuries.

If you recall, last year, I spoke about race from this very same spot, and about how the shooting of Michael Brown was a wake-up call for me and was indeed a wake-up call to all of us and this entire nation.  Baruch ata Adonai Eloheinu Melech Ha’Olam pokeach ivrim, praised are You Eternal Our God for giving sight to the blind.  We have woken up; but as our eyes opened, we wiped the sleep away only to see that the true scope of the problem is much broader than most of us understood.  The Black community has known what has been happening.  They have been telling us, but we have not listened.  They have been telling us that their children are being killed, that their mothers and fathers are being taken away and incarcerated at rates much higher than white Americans, though statistically they don’t commit more crimes than white Americans.  They have told us that their rights are being violated and that they are stuck in a system that neither values their lives nor seeks to help undo the ramifications of generations of discrimination.  They have demanded fair and unfettered access to the voting booth and have been told by the High Court that the problems of the past are no longer problems.

I learned some of this from reading Coates’ book, but I learned more in Columbia, South Carolina, where last month, I participated in a Civil Rights March organized by the NAACP.  This year marks the 50th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act, which was brought to national attention by a march on Selma, AL led by Martin Luther King.  The march that I participated in began in Selma on August 1 and this week – tomorrow, in fact – the march will end in Washington, DC.  This almost 1000-mile-long march is the longest civil rights march in American History.  Traversing Alabama, Georgia, South and North Carolina, Virginia, and then Washington, DC, the march’s aim is to bring to light the myriad issues that still surround race in this nation.  If last summer’s violence and protests in Ferguson, Missouri were a wake-up call that there are still problems in this nation, this summer’s march seeks to make clear what the issues are, how complicated they are, and how long the road toward justice actually is.  It seeks people to proclaim that just because the world is one way doesn’t mean that’s how it needs to stay.

America’s Journey for Justice, as the march is called, aims to make the nation aware of the reality of being black in America, and why it is a markedly different reality than being white in this nation.  As a part of their endeavor, the NAACP reached out to the Reform Rabbis’ Association, the CCAR, hoping to find 40 rabbis to march alongside them, one a day, carrying a Torah the entire way.  As of last count, more than 174 rabbis, primarily but not exclusively from Reform congregations, will have participated over the 40-plus-day journey. 

It was a powerful experience to march through South Carolina’s capitol: to know that the absence of a Confederate flag was a new reality, to walk alongside so many who hope that the ideals of this nation be met.  And that’s what it was really all about.  We were required to march two by two, in straight lines, to keep us safe and in one lane of traffic.  As we marched the 13.5 miles in the heat of the South Carolina summer, I was struck by how varied the experience was.  There were moments of meditative prayer.  There were moments of learning.  And there were moments of epiphany.

A moment of meditative prayer: At one point during the day, all I could focus on was putting one foot in front of the other and staying in line.  It was all I could do to keep going.  Not from being tired or from any pain, but from the heat and the redundancy of walking for hour after hour.  Sometimes, when our bodies begin to move on autopilot, it frees up our minds.  In my mind, at that moment, as my feet rose and fell, the words of the prayer r’tzei came into my head: Retzei Adonai Eloheinu, b’amcha Yisrael u’tfilatam b’ahavah t’kabelAccept our prayers with love, O God! Running through my head.  

But I wasn’t praying, at least not in the typical manner of prayer.  I was praying in an entirely different manner.  I was actually living the words of Abraham Joshua Heschel, who, after marching at Selma, famously declared that he felt as if his feet were praying.  Every footfall of each of the marchers was a prayer.  Every step toward our goal, for that day, for the march, and for the future was a prayer.  It was a step in the right direction.  And from somewhere within my soul, I prayed that my steps would be accepted lovingly by God as prayer and that those prayers would one day be answered.

A moment of learning: At one point, I was marching alongside my 13-year-old niece, Arbel.  She and I struck up a conversation with one of the march marshals, named Jemiah.  Jemiah asked Arbel if she understood why she was marching.  Being 13, her answer was something like: “Well, my uncle is a rabbi, and he wanted me to come.”  That wasn’t quite what Jemiah was asking, but ok.  Jemiah went on to explain some of the difficulties that black people in America have endured in the past and continue to endure.  I knew that under segregation, black people were not allowed in hospitals, or were only allowed in black-run hospitals.  

I never really stopped to think about all the ramifications of those policies and laws, which were in existence as recently as 50 years ago, well within the lifetime of many here today.  So, I didn’t put together that not being admitted to a hospital meant that women could not give birth in a hospital.  If you were not born in a hospital, you did not get a birth certificate.  This means it is extremely difficult to obtain any kind of ID.  I had known about the discrimination.  I hadn’t stopped to consider its effects or what segregated hospitals might have to do with voting.  Voter ID laws, aside from policing a problem that doesn’t really exist, disproportionately affect black Americans.  I learned at that moment, how truly complex and enduring the repercussions of racism really are in this nation.  If we haven’t lived it, we can’t fully understand it. And, just because there are laws against it, doesn’t mean that it’s over.

A moment of epiphany:  Early in the day, shortly before I carried the Torah for the first time that morning, I looked up from my position in the phalanx and before me were people marching behind an American flag and the Torah.  Both of these objects are symbols which hold important meanings for me.  I never considered what they have in common.  I am a firm believer in the separation of synagogue and state, but I could not help but begin to realize what these two have in common.  They are twins, I realized.  They may be fraternal twins, but they are twins.  They both represent aspirations of freedom.  They both represent aspirations of justice. 

Freedom and justice are important concepts in our Torah.  We began the morning of the march by reading from the Torah a brief excerpt from Shirat HaYam, the song of the sea, which the Israelites sing with Moses and Miriam after their liberation from slavery, a freedom song.  This idea of freedom is so important to us as Jews that we sing the most famous line from that song each day, the Mi Chamocha, so that we never forget that freedom is a precious and divine gift. 

The Torah also commands us to pursue justice, as it proclaims Tzedek Tzedek Tirdof: Justice, Justice shall you pursue![2]  Why is the word justice repeated?  Because we are to seek justice for ourselves, and justice for others.[3]  We are to look at our sacred words and aspire to reach the goals they set out for us.  Likewise for the American flag.  It is a symbol of liberty and equal justice under the rule of law.  Though much of our nation’s history has seen us fall short of that goal, it is an aspiration toward which we must all work.  That aspirational nature of both our Torah and of our nation is why I love both – because they both call us to be better.  They both demand that we work to make the world what we want it to be, what it ought to be, when we look around and see the world not as it should be.  Like Abraham, we have to hear that divine within us and answer the call to look around and say that the way things have been done is not ok, that the status quo is no longer acceptable, and that as Jews who live in America, we take all minority rights seriously and that we believe that black lives matter in the same way we believe that all lives matter because we are a religion who believes in the sanctity of living beings.  God gives us the choice.  God sets before us life and death, good and evil, and God commands us to choose the side of life.  Be a people who values life, like the Eternal values life.

Marching in South Carolina was a way to live the values of freedom, justice, and life which are required of both our Torah and our citizenship.  Learning from those marching the entire 1000 miles was even more important because we all must start to learn about what’s really happening in our nation if we want to be able to fix it.  We have made tremendous progress in this nation.  Fifty years ago, it was state troopers who attacked the marchers in Selma.  This year, the NAACP march is escorted by state troopers in each state, clearing the way, stopping the traffic, ensuring safety and order.  That progress is important and it is critical to recognize and be thankful for it, but we cannot become complacent.  We must keep working, there are more steps ahead.

I have been invited to participate in the formation of a Black Jewish Coalition for Justice on Long Island, and while I don’t yet have much information, I will keep you informed about other ways to be involved.  If you are interested in racial justice, please be in touch with me.  We must work to meet with those whose lives and experiences are different from ours.  It is my hope that this coalition will serve exactly that purpose. 

Beyond grassroots local meetings, we can also advocate for change nationally.  Last year’s Supreme Court Decision, Shelby v. Holder, which undid a critical piece of the Voting Rights Act, may have been appropriate according to certain principles of law.  The day after the decision, many states introduced legislation to test just how far they could push the law.  The suggestion is not to flout the decision; that is not how this country works.  We must speak out against it by supporting new legislation to replace the overwhelmingly bi-partisan supported Voting Rights Act.  To that end, this past June, the Voting Rights Advancement Act was introduced in both the House and the Senate.  This new law would serve to reestablish, following the Supreme Court’s guidelines, certain provisions of that landmark legislation.  This new act, among other aims, seeks to ensure that last-minute voting changes won’t adversely affect voters, particularly people of color and language minorities.[4]  This is an important piece of legislation that we should favor vocally by contacting our representatives and letting them know that as Jewish Americans, voting rights and minority rights are important to us. 

In a few moments, we will hear the calls of the Shofar, the ram’s horn.  These calls are to be reminders of the willingness Abraham had to sacrifice his son to God.  These calls are supposed to awaken our souls to turn toward the good in the new year.  This Rosh HaShanah, as we hear the calls echo around us, let the sound arouse in us the voice of the divine which commands us to work to make the world as it should be and not settle for the world as it is. Let the calls pierce our souls and bring each of us to work toward the cause of Freedom, Justice, and Life, the cause of this nation, the cause of our Torah.
Shanah Tovah!           


[1] Coates, Between the World and Me, p 11
[2] Deut 16:20
[3] Based on Rabbi Lawrence Jackofsky and David Toomin (RJ website)
[4] Info from RAC one-pager

No comments:

Post a Comment