Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Kol Nidre 5785: Less iPhone; More I-Thou

 A version of this sermon was delivered on Kol Nidre, Erev Yom Kippur 5785, at Temple B'nai Torah - A Reform Congregation in Wantagh, NY.

            I know it’s Yom Kippur, but the fast only just started, so I don’t feel so bad that my story tonight starts with dinner.  Picture it, Vilnius, this past summer.  There I was, getting off the train, worn down from a difficult day of sightseeing in Kaunas, and the mass murder site, the Ninth Fort, just outside that city.  I walked the 15 minutes from the train station thinking deeply about how those tracks which carried me between these cities were probably the same ones that carried my grandfather a century ago.  I got to the restaurant, asked for a table for one and was shown to a beautiful table outside under a tree.  The sun was low, the temperature was pleasant, if a little muggy, owing to the rain that day.  It was Friday, and my Shabbat plan was to enjoy a nice dinner to counteract the hard day.

I placed my order, poured my beer, and began to watch what was going on around me.  A family to one side.  A group of Russian tourists that look like an extended family at two tables pushed together, loudly interacting with each other, but more their devices.  A couple of friends waiting for another friend to join them and starting with some wine.  A couple on a date.  I take out my notebook and begin to journal a little bit about my experiences that day, to try to write my immediate reflections, and so that I don’t forget what I did and saw. 

As I’m writing, I overhear a discussion at the entrance.  Another gentleman, by himself, has asked for a table for one, in a German-accented English.  Alas, the restaurant only has tables inside, they tell him.  His response sounds disappointed as he tries to get a sense of how long the wait might be.  I have only just placed my order, and I’ve got a table to myself, I realize.  I get the host’s attention and offer to share my table with this stranger and fellow single traveler, if he is willing.

I motion to him and he sits down.  As he does, I introduce myself and I guess, because his voice reminds me a little bit of Arnold Schwarzenegger, that he is Austrian.  And I’m right, so I have impressed him, and we get to talking.  He tells me about his Belarussian wife and how he’s alone because you can only get to Belarus on land, and Vilnius is the closest major city, so she went to see her family and he stayed behind because his Russian can only last him about two days, so he’s let his wife go on ahead.  We chat.  We toast to traveling.  We share about what we’ve seen.  When the inevitable question of what we do comes up, I decide that I will tell him—because I don’t tell everyone—that I am a rabbi. 

He is flabbergasted.  “I’ve never had dinner with a rabbi before!”  He tells me he lives in Vienna not far from the Jewish Museum that some of us here visited together a few years ago.  I know that this means he lives in the old Jewish quarter, and I also know that the questions I want to ask about who the building he lives in used to belong to are probably not ideal for our cordial Shabbat dinner. 

My food arrives and we continue to chat.  We each order another beer and I share with him about my life and he shares with me about his life.  His food arrives just as it begins to gently rain again.  As I’m under the tree, and about done with my meal, I decide to rough it out for a few minutes, but he chooses to go eat indoors.  We shake hands, wish each other well, and part ways.

This is one powerful interaction that I had, and I could tell you about the gentleman from South Carolina I met on my tour of the Alpine castles who was traveling with his two daughters who were always on their phones.  I could tell you about the German family from Hamburg I met in Munich on their way to New York for their very first family trip here.  The excited daughters spent a lot of time on their phones and asked me about things in New York that are TikTok famous and which, therefore, I have never heard of.  They’re staying in Queens, and I don’t have the heart to tell them how long their subway ride will be into the city.  I could tell you about the French couple or the Portuguese man who I met on a van tour of the Lithuanian and Latvian countryside, or the Turkish woman who I toured part of Dachau with.

All of these encounters, fleeting yes, but deep and meaningful moments of connection, happened not just because of my sparkling personality.  These interactions, these powerful moments of connection and encounter happened, I firmly believe, because I took social media off of my phone and because I made a point this past summer to not experience life through a screen. 

Yes, I took pictures; and I’ve shared some of those with you.  And I kept my phone away, as much as possible.  This helped me to recognize and to understand that while our smartphones are powerful, important devices that do much good, they are also a tool whose effects we are only just learning. 

The combination of smartphones and social media that hit our pockets a little over a decade ago has changed the world and the way we interact with it.  They can, if we are not careful, prevent us from fully encountering the world, IRL, in real life, as God created it.  They can, if we are not careful, prevent us from the deep interactions that are required for society to survive and to which Judaism calls us.  They can, if we are not careful, cause us to separate into bitterly divided factions, capable of believing the worst about our neighbors.  They can and they do lead to mental health crises. 

In his book, The Anxious Generation, Jonathan Haidt describes what he calls “the great rewiring of American childhood.”[1]  These devices and the social media platforms that they connect us and our children to are detrimental to development, learning, and functioning in society.  In a great irony, Haidt assesses that many parents today spend too much time protecting their children from possible discomfort and difficulty in the real world and not enough time protecting them from the many harms in the virtual world. 

Haidt describes the effects of this rewiring.  While his research focuses on children who are most affected as their brains continue to develop, the effects on adults are similar.  If we do the work this day asks of us and consider our relationships over the last year, many of us would recognize these effects in some ways. 

Smartphones connected to social media cause social deprivation.  Since 2009, there has been a precipitous decline in the amount of time people of all ages spend with their friends in face-to-face interactions.[2]  Facetime is not the same as time actually looking into another person’s face while in conversation, which humanity has evolved to need.  

Smartphones also cause what Haidt calls attention fragmentation.  This has affected me, and I have seen how it affects my family, our students, my friends, and colleagues.  You probably know it from those times you’re in the middle of something and you hear that ding or feel that vibration, and suddenly your mind is pulled away from whatever it is you were doing.  Or maybe you even feel a phantom vibration.  And then, somehow, you’ve spent an hour scrolling.  Haidt cites one study from 2023 that shows that at the high end, a phone pings an alert up to 192 times a day, up to 11 a waking hour.[3]  I won’t ask you to raise your hands, but I assume that at least some of us here in this room right now are doing everything we can not to take out our phones, not to look at the score, not to see what text or email or like just came through. 

It’s more than just the notifications that cause distraction and pull us away from each other.  Studies also show that even having the phone nearby damages our ability to think at our highest level.  In one experiment, students were best able to remember and recall, and better able to complete math problems, when their phones were in the other room compared to the phones being in a pocket or on a desk next to them.  Our brains work differently when these devices are nearby.[4]  All of this is why our school here at TBT has banned phones during religious school.  And let me just commend our Religious Education committee and our parents for understanding why we made this decision and agreeing to it.  More and more school districts are banning phones, and they are seeing reversals of some of the trends, particularly around attention fragmentation, relatively quickly.

On the first day without their phones during their 15-minute break, our High Schoolers almost didn’t know what to do.  By the second week, they were talking to one another, interacting with each other, and planning to bring in some games and cards to have something to do together.  A year ago, high school break was a bunch of teens in our beautifully renovated youth lounge, all sitting near each other, but all on their phones.  Some with earbuds in.  None of them interacting with each other.  None of them learning about their classmates or sharing about themselves.  None of them navigating the social-emotional growth that is so necessary at their age.  Now, they look each other in the face.  They engage with each other and encounter each other.  This is not just a choice for their physical and mental health, it’s also in keeping with what Judaism values.

Face-to-face interaction is at the heart of how Judaism has always understood the deepest of relationships.  God tells Aaron and Miriam that only Moses gets to speak to God face to face, owing to the depth of their relationship.  Classical Talmud study is done in what is called chavruta, where you sit across from your study partner and you engage with each other and with the arguments, fully immersed in the text.  The Talmud even says that when two are engaged in the study of Torah, the divine presence rests between them.  Two people studying together are, indeed, able to accomplish and learn more than if they each worked independently.

The most powerful of blessings, the Priestly Benediction, taken from the Torah, is centered around God’s face shining God’s light toward us.  Face-to-face encounters lead to blessing.  And face-to-face encounters lead us to feel God’s presence.  Martin Buber, one of the great Jewish thinkers of the 20th century, describes God as present in relationships.  In his famous work, I and Thou, he defines the world of relationships in two ways.  We have experiences with others, I-it interactions, and we have encounters with others, I-Thou interactions.  Experiences are low-level interactions and are not necessarily bad.  These involve some kind of judgment or use.  In these interactions, we are observers, objective, analytical.  We catalogue and categorize the other.  We describe and define.  And if these are the only kinds of relationships we have, our lives are incomplete.  In order to actually live, we have to find deeper connections. 

“All actual life is encounter,”[5] Buber writes.  To have an encounter is to move from I-it to I-Thou in part through God’s grace.  But it involves being fully present with the other, seeing the depth of the other person, giving from our fullest selves, and striking the balance between maintaining our identities and fusing them.  It is in these moments of mutuality, in these moments of full mutual encounter with the other that we feel God’s presence—because God is the eternal Thou.  We seek to encounter God as we work to encounter others. 

Unfortunately, these I-Thou moments are fleeting and hard to come by.  They are made all but impossible if there is a screen between us or when a phone distracts us.  How can we be mutually engaged with another person if, while we are talking, we take out our phones to check who just pinged us?  How can we be fully present if our minds are wondering how many hearts we will see the next time we use our faces as a password rather than as a conduit to the divine?  We need to look each other in the face.  We need to encounter the world, not just experience it.  We need to spend time with each other without the whole world beckoning us from our pockets.  We need to put down our iPhones and focus on I-Thou!

For sins between a person and God, Yom Kippur atones.  For sins between a person and their fellow, Yom Kippur does not atone.  Our smartphone-addicted lives lead us to sin against each other and to sin against God.  We sin against each other when we fail to look in another’s face and fully encounter them. We sin against each other when we live a life of experience and never seek encounter.  We sin against each other when we’d rather reach one more level on the game.  And when we sin against each other by treating each other as expendable and not seeking encounter, we sin against God because we prevent God from coming into our lives.

When Moses comes down from the mountain after his encounter with God, the Torah tells us that his face is radiant with a glow of light.  Everyone can tell that it is the glow of the divine which emanates from his face.  It is so powerful and overwhelming that he must cover his face from the community.  Each of us has a small part of that divine glow in our faces.  Each of us is capable of seeing that divine light.  We have to want to see it.  It takes work to see it.  We have to seek out encounter.

We have just under 24 hours ahead of us to consider every action, reaction, and interaction from this last year.  Look back.  What did you experience?  What did you encounter?  We have just under 24 hours to consider how we will choose to live in this year ahead.  Will it be a year of experience or a year of encounter?  Will we seek to share our tables and truly meet others, or will we ignore those alongside us for the pings of our apps?  On this night, let us commit to seeking to meet others face to face rather than face to phone.  Instead of the glow of our phones, let us seek out the divine glow in faces of those around us.  And in so doing, may we summon the divine to dwell amongst us, to rain blessings upon us, and to seal us in the book of life.

Amen.

G’mar Chatimah Tovah

 



[1] Haidt, Jonathan.  The Anxious Generation: How the Great Rewiring of Childhood Is Causing an Epidemic of Mental Illness.  2024.  Penguin Press; USA.  See pages 3-4, 7.

[2] Ibid, see chart on page 121

[3] Ibid, see page 126

[4] Ibid, see page 128

[5] Buber, Martin, I and Thou. 1970 Translation, Touchstone Press 1996 printing, p 62.


No comments:

Post a Comment